Saturday, January 14, 2012

the courage to quit

I am a coward.

I can't summon the courage to quit. I don't know what's wrong with me. It's about time I quit this miserable job because I'm no longer learning anything.

I should just leave. Help me leave!

Yesterday I had an informational interview from which I didn't expect much. It was a pretty neat company down in Chelsea; they seemed pretty chill, but I'm just not sure it's for me. If you've seen "Friends with Benefits," it's sort of like that atmosphere that Justin Timberlake was working in pre-GQ. Yes, just like that. Dim lighting, with little globes of light hanging from the ceiling. The elevator was pretty ghetto, and the interior held glass walls, wooden floors, and an open floor plan. Everywhere people were dressed casually, in ripped jeans, crumpled t-shirts. Many of the employees sported large tattoos and piercings.



I have no doubt that this would be a cool place to work; I'm just not sure it's for me. I live in a pretty quiet, reserved way. It's not like I don't have fun; I just have a more innocent view of the world, and I prefer the purity of being straight-edge.

Basically, they're just too hip for me because I'm a huge nerd/dork. It's like I don't belong in corporate America, but I don't belong in academia either.

Another one bites the dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment