Saturday, November 19, 2011

more reflections on a 2-hr yell fest

At various points throughout the session, I saw myself getting up from my seat, flipping over the table, and storming out. The door slams. I walk back to an all-too-crowded office and grab my belongings, trashing the computer as I do so. Don't think I didn't consider the possibility. It would be very dramatic, and I'm sure I'd leave more than one person in shock.

I should mention that in my youth I had a terrible temper, so restraining myself during this meeting was especially difficult as I felt the rage boil within me. I used to throw tantrums every day. I was quite the difficult child up until...no wait, I'm still difficult at times, but I digress. The point is that I have a temper and I held it in.

See, when DB is away from the office, which is not as often as I would like, things are great. I get some projects from the other two managers, and I don't feel so stressed out. I do my work, get their feedback, and we're good to go. I don't mind being exploited because I'm being treated with respect. DB, however, is known for "pushing people." I think it's more of an aggressive shove, like I'm being bullied on a playground or something. This is emotionally abusive. It's like all of those domestic violence pamphlets you read about how your significant other throws a tantrum and then tries to make it up to you by acting all apologetic and showering you with gifts.




Only I'm only given the promise of resume-building help, and I don't care at all about DB. I've even done some thoughtcrime (gasp!) of my own, but I won't go into it because it's not appropriate. Once in a while DB will express concern that we're learning something. But that's only once in a while, and he rarely follows up to ensure that we interns are learning something.

In addition, throughout the meeting (yell session), DB would take non-work-related phone calls. We're not allowed to do this, mind you, but the partners are. So get this, there are five other people in this room getting yelled at, and DB takes a few five-to-ten-minute personal phone calls while we are in the middle of sorting things out. Talk about a total lack of respect for people's time. He even does the same during client meetings. How is this professional? Whatever it is can wait! If people would just focus, we could have cut down the wasted time down by at least half an hour.

The other thing that sketches me out about this company is that they try to pass the interns off as employees of the company. We're listed on the website as "analysts," like we're part of the team, making it seem like the whole company has a lot more manpower than it does. In reality, the number of so-called "analysts" is about five, and we're all packed into this one tiny room across the hall. Most of us have to bring our own laptops, and we're all pretty cramped since all the company's promotional junk is also piled in there.

In one client meeting, I was introduced as being "brand new" to the team. The client congratulated me on my job. I nodded uncertainly, not yet willing to give away the company's secret.

So, at this time, Marx comes to mind. I'm probably going to whip out my notes from political economy and write a post on that next. Yes, either that or obesity. Just wait and see I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment